Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Really great visit!

I met Amanda (back then called Mandy) when I was in 4th grade. My family had moved from the only home I knew to a different town and a new house. Amanda and I were friends as children spending weekends together, swimming, playing and being kids. She went on several vacations with my family because I begged my parents. They knew I would be more tolerable to be around with my best friend with me. We experienced many firsts together and knew everything about each other.


Amanda and I grew up, went off to college and did not see each other very much. We became re-acquainted when I was getting married. Amanda and I have been great friends ever since through our highs and lows. She is a wonderful, giving person who is always optimistic and outspoken. We have seen each other a few times since high school for a quick lunch or visit.


Amanda and her adorable twin girls came and stayed with us for 11 days. It was like old times again. We still have much in common, helped each other in the kitchen, ran errands together and took the kids all over town. I really enjoyed the company and their visit.


The six of us started out the visit going to the Dallas Museum of Science to visit the children's museum. I did not realize that it would be fenced into the whole Texas State Fair. We paid $10 to park but a nice lady at the front gate gave us 3 free admission tickets to the Fair. The other 3 kids were free and then we paid $1 per person over 3 at the museum. While it was raining, we visited the museum. After the rain let up, we walked around the State Fair. A nice grandma type lady gave each child a stuffed animal that they had won on games. The highlight of the trip was watching a baby goat being born at the children's barn.

We were hoping to go to the Dallas Arboretum but the weather did not cooperate with those plans. We went to community functions that had activities, coupons and freebies for the kids. We played at an indoor bounce house and play areas at local Chick fil-As and the mall. All of us went swimming at our gym's indoor pool. We ate out as a group at Dickey's and Pei Wei and the kids were very well behaved. Amanda and I had a great time out by ourselves in the evenings walking, shopping, exercising and relaxing at the gym and dinner/drink out all without the kids. I have to thank my husband for all of the night time babysitting he provided!

For the most part the kids got along really well. There were a few moments where sharing was an issue but that is to be expected of 1 and 2 year olds. Lucas won the award for the most time outs and had some problems with random pushing people down. You have to appreciate his honesty. He always told you what he did when someone started crying. "I pushed the baby down."

It was such a great time, no one got sick or terribly hurt and I am so sad it is over. I hope we can get a chance to see each other again before they move to Alaska. I am going to start saving for my trip to visit them in Alaska right now.

No comments: