Saturday, October 4, 2008

feeling a little nostalgic

E is gone to Singapore. I am home with the kids for five days but I am in a remarkably happy mood. I can cope with anything because I am going on a vacation with my husband in less than a week. It will be like we are newlyweds again. We can pretend that we don't have any responsibilities. We can listen to each other without interruptions, rekindle our marriage and enjoy each other's company. I am so excited!

This makes me feel a little nostalgic. I will tell a little bit about our meeting and how our relationship began.

I was living with two roommates who happened to be male and brothers. One of my roommates was E's roommate in college. He grew up with E, went to high school with him and was a neighbor down the street. My roommate, Todd, got back in touch with E and they decided to rekindle their friendship. E came to visit Todd and stayed at our apartment. At the time I was working at Duke University's hospital laboratory on 3rd shift. I had worked the night before, slept and was baking anything I could think of. I loved to cook and my roommates liked to eat. I think I made cinnamon rolls from scratch, dessert pizza and rice krispie treats.

I was kind of excited to have a visitor stay with us and watched him on our TV as he pulled up to our front entry of our apartment complex. You had to buzz your guests through the gate and you could see them on our TV. As soon as I saw him on the TV I thought "I think I am in trouble!" He walked into our apartment and I was already interested. I was introduced to him and then he saw all of the desserts that I had made. He has always loved desserts and I think that is when I caught his attention. Thankfully, my roommates wanted to include me in the days festivities. We went to the North Carolina state fair then out to some bars afterwards. I think the guys stayed up watching some movie and I excused myself to my room. The next morning Eric left and I did not get to say goodbye. I called my Mom later in the day and told her that I would move to Hickory, NC for that guy. She knew that I must really like him if I was telling her my possible plans to move. After a few more visits we had gotten pretty serious. E traveled frequently and I worked 3rd shift for 10 days straight in a row. So we would go for long stretches without seeing one another. I would cry most of my 3.5 hour drive home from a visit with E. Eventually, I rented a one bedroom apartment in Hickory and found a new job so I could be closer to E. Around one year later he proposed to me on a beach as the sun was rising. I was on a cloud and couldn't be happier. We were married one year later and the rest is history.

It was such a romantic and exciting start to our love affair. It will be so nice to go away by ourselves and get to pretend we are newly married again.

2 comments:

rackersfamily said...

That's so sweet... I hadn't heard your "love" story before...

Haley said...

loved reading your story. hope you're having a blast on vacation.