Just a few days ago I was thinking how nice it is in the summer time that we rarely get sick. So of course yesterday Lucas woke up with a temperature after his nap. I dosed him with Motrin and Tylenol and we took every one to the Cheesecake factory as we had planned. We have gotten to the point of being able to take them to restaurants with cloth napkins and no children's menu. Most of the time the kids have good "restaurant behaviour" as we call it.
Lucas slept fine with his dose of Motrin on board then woke up with a fever of 102.5. He threw up at the house and I looked in his mouth with a flashlight to find it looking infected.
We went in to see the nurse practitioner and she swabbed his throat. She got his gag reflex and he proceeded to throw up all over the exam table over and over again. It was lots of fun for all. The rapid strep test said it was negative and the nurse told me that what Lucas has is viral. Lucas drank juice when he got home and threw up again then took a 5 hour nap. He only ate a bowl of oatmeal all day and had a few Popsicles. I hope that the throat swab that she did was also cultured because as I know from working in the lab that false negatives are possible. His temp. spiked to 103.5 and his little heart was just racing. If his fever is this high tomorrow I am planning on bringing him back in again.
I am so thankful that neither of my kids have been very ill in the past. It sure does bring out my mothering instincts when my babies are sick. I want to just sit with them all day. I made E go grocery shopping tonight with the coupons because I didn't want to leave Lucas. If we had to get sick I hope we get it all out of our system before our vacation in a week and a half.
Friday, July 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
sorry to hear illness stuck you too! N was sick while we were at the beach (diarrhea) and 12 of the 15 people in our house either threw up or got diarrhea. Fun times! take care.
Post a Comment