Thursday, February 18, 2010

Yellow Fever Anyone?

E is traveling to Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay and seemed really uninterested in preparing for his trip. I decided to search online for "travel tips to Brazil" and what did I come up with? The Center for Disease Control highly recommends that all travelers be vaccinated for Yellow Fever before traveling to Brazil and Argentina...specifically the cities that he will be visiting. Not only is this freaking me out, so is the fact that this is summer for Brazil and also the rainy season. Apparently the mosquitoes are out in full force between the months of January and March and that is how the virus is spread....through mosquitoes.

He also should be vaccinated against Hepatitis and Tetanus. I asked E last night when he was last vaccinated for Tetanus and he said "Probably when I was 10." Great! That is only about 25 years too long ago! E leaves tomorrow so it doesn't leave much time to work on getting him vaccinated.

Not only am I worried about the things that can be prevented by vaccinations, I am also worried about all of the parasites that you can catch in South America. I studied parasitology in college and recently watched the show on TLC called "Monsters inside me" which is all about parasites. I don't think he is worried about the risks as much as I am so I will have to send him a sheet of rules to keep in his pocket. I am the worrier in our relationship and a little pissed that he didn't think of this stuff a little sooner.

No comments: