Sunday, April 5, 2009

Close call

I have been in this mad, crazy cleaning and organizing spree since my mother is coming to stay with us for a week. I was in the office organizing papers, filing and throwing out things. It was stuffy and with the temp drop last night I decided to open the window. The kids were down stairs reading books to each other. I had the thought that the open window was dangerous because it is one of those low ones that are 8 inches off of the floor but figured it was alright since Lucas was downstairs.

Eventually the books must have gotten boring for Lucas so I heard him coming upstairs. I thought to myself "Make sure to keep him out of the office". I was filing some more papers and Lucas walked into the room and made a B line for the window, pushed on it and almost fell out! I realized what he was doing as the screen fell out and landed on the cement patio two stories down. I yanked him by the hand and almost had a heart attach thinking about what could have happened. It took me at least 30 minutes to calm down afterwards. That was a very close call and I will never be opening that window again. I hope this is a lesson that other people can learn from. Thankfully we did not become one of those statistics.

Another lesson others can learn from is don't forget the sunscreen. Lucas got burned up a couple of weeks ago. I swear it was only an hour he was outside playing in the cool air without his shirt on. I felt terrible about that one too! I think I might get my mothering licence revoked.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! such a good lesson for me... i leave them open all the time...

Vicki said...

That is so scary! Thank god you caught him.