Saturday, March 21, 2009

spring break project






I really miss gardening and thought it would be great fun to plant one this year. I have been hesitant since we moved to Texas due to the blazing hot summers but thought we would give it a try this year. E and I removed all of the grass after the last rain while the ground was still soft, amended the soil with compost, peat moss and top soil, tilled everything together, edged the bed with something E could mow over and planted our seeds and plants. Actually it was Logan and I that did the planting.

We are going to try to grow 5 different tomato plants, two jalapeno pepper plants, cilantro...see where I am going....homegrown, homemade salsa. My favorite! Also, green beans, two different kids of basil for brochette and pesto, mint for mojitos, dill, thyme, tarragon, squash, radishes and carrots. And for a little color, some red Zinnias, dwarf sunflowers and red clematis.

Plants make me happy. I used to live at Lowe's, Home Depot and any neighborhood nursery I could find when we were newly married and had our first home. I loved going there right after work and spending hours walking around and learning all of the names of the plants. I grew a great vegetable garden in North Carolina in raised beds. It was great to go outside and get all of the ingredients for a salad in my backyard.

This will be my test year to see if I picked a good spot for our garden. If any of you CR moms need any last minute herbs for your recipes, call me in a month or two and I will try to hook you up.

No comments: